Friday, April 6, 2012

The Restorative Outdoors

In "Through the Window" the allure of the fresh outdoors is embellished upon.  One line of particular notice is, "The growing smell curls round my feet and prods" (Harris 9).  I love this image of air wrapping around the body part that gets one out the door, down river banks, into fields, under the sun, in the wind, encouraging it to move.  The speaker says the outdoors is "worth the callouses and burnt skin" (Harris 9).


I reflect on the ways I, too, love the outdoors.  Recently I was yelled at by my housemate for opening my bedroom window when the heat in the house is broken and I told her, "I'm sorry. I just love fresh air."  The truth is I need it.  I don't care if it's winter.  I need to smell the living things outside.  It makes me feel alive.  It rests me when I am anxious.  It reminds me of who I am and why I am and where I am going and how I am going to get there.  It helps me to believe that everything is okay.  Everything is just fine.  I can smell the flowers, even if they're closed up for the season, I can smell that they're there, waiting, and they're ready for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment